THIS IS THE PAPERBACK BOOK FOR WHICH
THE TEACHING POWERPOINTS WERE CREATED
You are not obligated to purchase the book! Use the PowerPoints as you wish. But to get more value out of them, you may want to get your copy of the paperback through Baker Books or Amazon (new or used). Below see a brief description of the book & its table of contents.
The New Worship: Straight Talk on Music and the Church by Barry Liesch. Baker Book House, 2001, 275 pages.
The New Worship is an “issues” book on contemporary worship practice. It seeks to answer the barrage of questions being asked today, and provide practical help for the week-by-week planning of worship.
Topics/Issues: hymns vs choruses, free-flowing praise, divisiveness over style, implementing change, worship as performance, order of worship, staff relations, improvisation, the importance of Colossians 3:16/Eph 5:18.
A lot of effort went into the graphics, which contain many charts, figures, illustrations, and concept icons. Popular in style with a scholarly foundation, it has been used as a worship text by many colleges.
Contents of The New Worship
I. Contemporary Worship Services
1. Hymns or Choruses?
2. Teaching, the Spirit, & Congregational Song
3. Free-Flowing Praise
4. Journey into the Holy of Holies
5. Designing the Service
6. Drama, Scripture, Technology
7. Inspiring the People’s Song
II. Pressing Issues
8. Is Worship a Performance? The Concept
9. Is Worship a Performance? The Implications
10. Worship: Christ’s Action & Our Response
11. Worship that Models the Purpose of the Church
12. Resolving Tensions over Musical Style: Peter
13. Resolving Tensions over Musical Style: Paul
III. Ministering with Others
14. Volunteer & Staff Relations
15. Identifying, Attracting Church Musicians
16. Why Seminaries Should Teach Music & Worship